Key Terminology in e-Builder
The following items appear on your home page:
- Workflow in your court
- Equivalent to an “In- Box” – things waiting for your approval before being finalized.
- My first 10 tasks
- Tasks assigned to you that are currently active (should be started, not yet completed) – Does this also include notifications when forms are adhoc requests are sent your way?
- Submittal Items in your Court
- Same as Workflow in your court, but limited to only submittal items (part of the submittal process).
- Items Pending Approval
- Only relevant to Business Office – there are some data entry pieces of the cost model that need their approval
- Quarantined Spam
- Only relevant to team leaders where some “spam” e-mail has been received in the in-box of one of their projects. They need to mark it as “non-spam” to get it into their folders.
- A single-page at-a-glance graphical presenation of key measures and performance indicators, represening the current data in e-Builder.
- Dashboard Item
- An individual chart or graphic on the dashboard.
- Clicking on a section of a dashboard item will usually allow a user to "drill-down" to see the data which the chart or graphic represents.
e-Builder is organized almost completely around projects. This is where you can find the project detail info.
- Any VPCPF Project, from a furniture request to a new building.
- Project Participants
- A list and key notes about participants on your project.
- A means of controlling which projects seen by a user on the project screen. There are standard pre-existing views, but a user can also define their own views.
Roles control who can see what, and who is included in the routing of some of the processes (workflows) on a project.
- Account Roles
- Roles which span multiple projects. These always start with 01.
- Project Roles
- Roles which can have different members for each project. These always start with 02.
Key Project Roles:
- 02 - IU Team Lead
- IU Project Manager – controls most aspects of the project and is in the approval chain for many documents
- 02 - IU Construction Project Manager
- Controls project when in construction phase and is also in the approval chain
- 02 - Design Review Team
- Staff notified of Design Team meetings and also notified when Design Review is needed. (can be internal or external staff)
- 02 - Design Team
- People notified of Design Team meetings (can be internal or external staff)
- 02 – Architect/Engineer of Record
- key role in many of the processes
- 02 – General Contractor
- key role in many of the processes
- 02 – Consultant
- Used when there are additional consultant teams (companies) on the project.
- 02 – Contractor
- Used when there are multiple contractors on project
- 02 – Construction Manager
- Used when there is an external construction Manager on project
NOTE: For all external consultants and contractors, the individuals must be linked to their company in order to see any of the contractual information (and process CCD’s, Pay Apps, etc.)
At this time, we are not using the Planning module.
Forms are predefined sets of information that can be sent to other roles as either an FYI (Static Form) or to request some additional Information (Workflow Forms).
- Processes and Structured Workflows
- A process is a series of steps that start when someone fills out a predefined set of information, and then follows a prescribed route to get approvals, collect more information and/or update information in the system. There are workflows for:
- Basic project information updates, including basic information, budgets, schedules, etc.
- Consultant contract initiation/change/invoice
- Contractor contract initiation/change/invoice
- Furniture only processes
Equivalent to ProjectDox where all project related documents and drawings can be stored (and shared). The plan is to have all documents including financial, legal, project photos, etc. stored here.
- The ability to set email notifications for new content in a document folder. Users may subscribe themselves to notifications, and administrators can subscribe users or roles to receive notifications. Notifications can be instantaneous or compiled to a daily digest.
- E-mail inbox
- An email address where to automatically receive documents for a project. The default email address is IU-XXXXXXX@docs.e-builder.net where XXXXXXXX is the Project Number.
- Private URL
- A URL (web address) which goes directly to the folder. With a Private URL, the user is directed to log in to e-Builder, and can only see content the user has permission to view.
- Public URL
- A URL (web address) which goes directly to the folder. A Public URL requires no login, but is only available on folders where public access has been granted.
- Folder: 06 Planning/01 Archive Drawings and Documentation
- This is where to place drawings and specs requested by design firm at the start of the project. Remember that the design team member must be a user and must be assigned to the project.
The schedule module tracks the project schedule. Every project will have a blank schedule template loaded with the key dates we wish to track. All projects should have a schedule.
- Cost Summary
- The cost summary is comparable to the Project Cost Model. It is a compilation of the budget, purchase orders (commitments) and actual expenses against the project. It is organized by Account Code, which is a way of classifying and tracking different types of expense.
- Project Contingency
- The project contingency is the same as in the project cost model, but it will be reduced by each consultant addendum and approved PCO’s as the project moves forward.
- Projected Over/Under
- Attempts to forecast where the project is by comparing budget to commitments and actual costs.
- Funding Sources
- This section tracks the funding sources for each project. The first line of the funding source table will be the 90 account, which will be used to accumulate all expenses. Subsequent lines will identify the funding sources for the project.
- Budget Details
- We will have budgets for every project that incurs costs.
- Budget Changes
- Changes to the original budget. The only way to change a budget is to submit a budget change, and for it to be approved. The statuses on budget changes are: Pending, Projected, Approved
- Commitment Details
- Commitments are the equivalent of Purchase Orders or Contracts
- Commitment Changes
- Commitment Changes are equivalent of PCO’s. Again, the system keeps track of Pending, Projected and Approved PCI’s. There is a process to enter PCO’s where they will remain in Pending status until they are approved as a CCD (see below).
- CCD’s are a collection of one or more approved PCO’s. There is a separate process to allow the collection of PCO’s. The PCO’s will be in Projected status until the CCD is completely through the approval process.
- Actual Costs
- These are the actual expenses incurred against the project. They will be imported from the University Financial system every night.
- Cash Flow
- A means to project the timing of future expenses. We will not be using this initially.
The contacts module is used to control:
- Any vendor or company contracted by the university. This module is used to link all contractual information. Note that departments or groups within IU which incur costs billed to a project will also be in the system as a company.
- Individuals within the company. These individuals can simply be identified as contacts with their contact information, or they can be users where they have a role on a project and can access information in the system. The users must be linked to their company to see/process and contractual information.
E-Builder allows users to track events and meetings related to projects, and maintain agendas and notes related to projects. It also allows a user to view all events they are involved in for the projects in which they are particpants.
We will not be using the Bidding module initially.
This is a separate module to input, process and approve submittals electronically. For this to work, the Architect/Engineer of record and the General Contractor must be in the system and the roles must be filled for the project.
E-builder allows construction camerasto be linked to a project within the project module. We are not planning to use this initially.
Users can use pre-exisitng reports within e-Builder, or create their own, using a 7-step wizard.
- Allows a user to see a list of projects they is a member of, or a list of roles to which they is assigned.
- Personal Information
- Allows a user to update their profile, change their password, or delegate responsibilities (when away from the office.)
- Allows a user to modify the type and format of email notifcations they receive, and to modify the look and feel of the e-Builder website interface.
- Allows a user to subscribe (or unsubscribe) to a folder or report.
- Allows a user to set up and/or maintain personal views for the different modules